Snorkeling Silfra & Whale Watching
The summer season in Iceland gives you the opportunity to truly make the most out of one day. The combination of snorkeling in Silfra followed by whale watching is a great way to get to know the many forms of one of Iceland’s most prominent element: water.
The day begins on a whale watching boat for an unforgettable trip into the world of whales and sea birds with our trusted whale watching partner, Elding adventure at sea. As this is a self drive tour, you will make your way to Elding's office at the old Reykjavik harbor.
The various types of whales commonly sighted include minke whales, white-beaked dolphins, harbor porpoises and the popular humpback whales. You will be accompanied by sea birds such as gannets, guillemots, cormorants, kittiwakes, arctic terns, and many more. The trip also takes you past several islands inhabited by colonies of puffins, which provides a great photo opportunity!
The Whale watching tour lasts till around 12.00 noon, so you will have time for a quick bite before your 1 hour drive to the National Park Thingvellir where you will snorkel Silfra. You can meet us directly at the Silfra meeting point in Thingvellir National Park.
Silfra is a crack in the earth between the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates. This remarkable fissure is filled with the glacial water and with over 100 meters visibility underwater, it is among the clearest bodies of water on our planet.
On the snorkeling tour we will guide you through the four parts of the Silfra fissure. Floating through Silfra's crystal clear water is an otherworldly experience; the near-freezing water, astonishing colors, and sensation of flying provide a very unique environment for liquid meditation that you will never forget.
After the snorkeling tour you can enjoy some time at Thingvellir national park before headgin back to Reykjavik.
- guided snorkeling trip
- all necessary snorkeling equipment
- hot chocolate and cookies after diving in Silfra
- Silfra entrance fee of 1.500 ISK per person
- guided whale watching tour
What's not included
Clothing to be worn under the dry suit and undergarment is not provided. Please bring:
- Long thermal underwear
- Warm wool socks
- Hat, gloves and scarf
- Please dress appropriately for the weather of the day - recommended: windproof and rainproof jacket and pants.
What do I need to bring
- Long underwear
- Thick socks
- Suitable clothes for the weather of the day
- If you wear glasses, please bring contact lenses or your own prescription mask if you have one
- have read, signed, and followed directions on the Snorkeling Silfra Medical Statement
- sign our liability release form at the start of the tour
- be between 150cm and 200cm in height
- be between 45kg and 120kg in weight
- fit within our dry suit size chart
- be minimum 12 years of age on the year
- be comfortable in the water and be able to swim
- be physically fit
- be ready to wear a sometimes tight and constricting dry suit
- be able to communicate in English or have a translator available at all times during the tour
- not be pregnant
Participants are not allowed on tour without signing the Snorkeling Silfra Medical Statement and, if necessary, a physician’s approval which can be found on the second page of the Medical Statement document. Please read the Diving Silfra Medical Statement prior to booking to make sure that you are eligible for the tour. Each participant must sign our liability release form at the start of the tour.