Private Bjarnagjá Diving Tour
Bjarnagjá fissure might be one of the coolest dive spots in Iceland. Located in Reykjanes peninsula, only about one hour drive from Reykjavik.
According to an older theory of continental drift, the Eurasian and North American continental plates shift and grind together in an endless clash of subterranean forces under a gaping rift at the tip of the Reykjanes peninsula in southwest Iceland. Bjarnagjá is an 18 m deep lava ravine on this very peninsula where the tectonic activity has caused Iceland to rise out of the ocean.
The water in Bjarnagjá is mostly fresh groundwater but it is influenced by the salinity of the sea as the rift is only few hundred meters from the coast. For those who have the appropriate level of training and diving experience this site offers dives in an overhead environment.
There is a boat in the bottom of the fissure, adding to the coolness of the dive spot.
This site is near the town Grindavík and the famous Blue Lagoon.
- Private guided diving trip
- 1 guided 40min dive
- All necessary equipment
- Hot chocolate and cookies after the diving tour
- Photos from the tour
What do I need to bring
- your SCUBA dive certification card (PADI Open Water or equivalent)
- proof of dry suit certification or 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of tour date
- long underwear
- thick socks
- suitable clothes for the weather of the day
- Bring a physicians approval if divers are 60 years or older
- be a certified diver at the level of PADI Open Water Diver or equivalent
- have dry suit diving certification and a logged dry suit dive within two years of the hot spring tour date OR have at least 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of the hot spring tour date and be able to provide written proof from a diving instructor of these dry suit dives PDF
- have read, signed, and followed directions on the online Diving Medical Statement (link provided in confirmation email) PDF
- have our Diving Medical form signed off by a doctor if they are age 60 or older PDF
- sign our liability release form at the start of the dive tour PDF
- be at minimum 150cm / maximum 200cm
- be at minimum 45kg / maximum 120kg
- fit within our dry suit size chart PDF
- be at least 17 years of age (signature of legal guardian required for under 18 year old participants)
- be physically fit
- be able to communicate in English
- be ready to wear a sometimes tight & constricting dry suit
- not be pregnant